There is nothing magical about reaching 500+ connections, but having the right people in your ear can truly help you move your life in the direction you’d like it to go. I’ve seen far too many people float through life without any clear sense of where they’re headed. They are on autopilot. But for those of you who choose to live intentionally, here are 10 types of people you need to follow to keep you on track in life:
1. A FINANCIAL EXPERT - Being able to choose your path in life often requires a level of financial security. You definitely want to have a trustworthy, non-fee-seeking money manager in your corner. You can’t follow everyone’s buy-sell-hold strategies. Know when to make needed moves based on trusted advice from a qualified professional who keeps up with changes in the financial markets.
2. THOUGHT LEADERS FROM YOUR OWN INDUSTRY - Who are the superstars in your field? Wouldn’t it behoove you to know what they’re paying attention to and what they’re doing?
3. HR/RECRUITER FROM YOUR INDUSTRY - Staying abreast of opportunities in your field can be as easy as staying connected to the people who hire.
4. A NEWS REPORTER THAT FOCUSES ON YOUR PROFESSION - Perhaps you have all the time in the world to read the entire newspaper. That was me being sarcastic! Of course, you don’t have that kind of time. So, why not follow a known source for information that matters to you and your industry?
5. PEERS THAT YOU LOOK UP TO - It’s not about comparison, but perhaps your co-workers are attending a conference that could benefit you. Following them can help you stay in the know about the options that are helping them to advance their lives and careers.
6. COMPANIES THAT YOU WANT TO WORK FOR - When you truly want to work at a certain place, it’s good to have a long-term view of their behaviors. Why are they in the news? Is their CEO under investigation? Have they stayed consistent with their initiatives? Do they have layoffs every year? Are their employees receiving promotions? Being celebrated? Have they acquired other brands?
7. A CAREER MANAGEMENT COACH - Well, of course you’re already following Push Career Management! But this is because you care about your career. You want to stay engaged with someone who will keep you informed about career best practices, resume update reminders, and someone who can help you navigate the brutal world of job search and career advancement.
8. THOSE WITH THE POSITION YOU’RE EYING NEXT - Watch what they are doing because soon, it will be you. Learn from their mistakes and record their successes so you won’t need to reinvent the wheel when it’s your turn at the helm.
9. SOMEONE TO KEEP YOU GROUNDED - Maybe a spiritual advisor (like a pastor), someone that connects you to the larger universe and reminds you that your life is bigger than just you. Motivational speakers are also a perfect fit for this type of connection.
10. OTHER PERIPHERAL FUNCTIONS THAT MATTER IN YOUR WORLD - If you have children, perhaps, follow youth program leaders. If you are married, link up with marriage counselors or how-to-stay-married groups. Get it?
Yes, I am a huge advocate for LinkedIn and it’s easiest to identify these individuals through LinkedIn, but use whatever source you choose to follow these pros and ultimately your life will be in a better position to go exactly where you’re meant to go.
SOME RECOMMENDATIONS TO FOLLOW:
Financial - Jordan Jobe /Raymond James Financial Advisor
Financial - Channika Daniels - Tax Preparation Professional
Financial - Ericka Young - Budget Coach
News Reporters - Your Local Business Journal
Career Management - Me! Brenda M. Cunningham at
Written by Brenda M. Cunningham: The one who will tell you like it is and help you get to where you want to be in your career. To learn more about our career services, visit us at www.pushcareermanagement.com